Monday, May 3, 2010

3 Day weekend!

Sort of. I'll explain:

Today is Dominican Labor Day, which you would think schools would get off for, and you'd be right EXCEPT for when the Secretary of Education decides the week before that everyone needs to go to school. So we had about 2 hours of "school in session" i.e. we went to school and sat in our rooms and organized our iTunes folders. At least that's what I did.

Then we/I went home to eat lunch, and watched a washcloth light on fire on the gas stove while Cecilia was cooking. So, send care packages with washcloths, but not really, because DR customs decided sometime last week that they need to tax all incoming packages to non-profits, regardless of price. (I think there was a big meeting with all important Dominican personnel where they sat around looking blankly at one another, until finally someone got uncomfortable with the silence and proposed random, last minute changes to crucial things like calendars and incoming mail.)

Aside from that, it was a low key weekend: some swimming and eating. Oh, Saturday we hiked from the Lower Jimenoa waterfall to the Upper Jimenoa (the giant waterfall in most of my pictures). It was pretty fantastic. We did get bitten by some serious insects though, and I have been liberally applying the Hydro-cortisone.

Now for the photos!

This, my friends, is a real live STICK BUG!!! I had never seen one!!

This is a view of the Upper Jimenoa from the path!

No comments:

Post a Comment