Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Second foreign earthquake survived

Hello all, this is just a quick note to let anyone who may be concerned that I am perfectly fine; I didn't feel the earthquake at all. According to my father (I personally haven't looked at a map...), I am about 100 miles from Port-au-Prince. The majority of my students felt the earthquake, as did some of the other teachers. Cecilia was walking in town and saw some of the buildings shaking at the time. Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how I end up in these countries with pretty severe earthquakes and don't notice anything. I feel somewhat gypped.

In the meantime, please keep the people of Haiti in your prayers. It is one of, if not the, poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Haitians have next to nothing; here in the DR, you can get in more trouble with the law for killing a rooster than a Haitian. At the beach you see many Haitians trying to sell things, shoes, paintings, etc. My understanding is that they will only see a fraction of a percentage of what they make selling these things. The point is, Haiti is a country with a terrible economic infrastructure to begin with, and I cannot imagine that this will help.

Some good pictures of the conditions can be found here:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/earthquake_in_haiti.html

1 comment:

  1. So glad to know you were safe ~ Praise God for His protection and the distance you were away from the earthquake! We are praying for the Haitian people.

    ReplyDelete