Saturday, September 5, 2009

Power and Sweat

Our power is finally back on after turning off the in the middle of the night. I immediately woke up because my fan turned off, and then spent the next few hours tossing and turning and sweating from the heat. I think the tropical storm/depression caused alot of rain.

I've been pretty sweaty and gross feeling all day, but I think somehow I am getting used to it. Which is very rare for me as I HATE feeling sweaty at all.

The bug bites continue in vast numbers. I am thinking about trying to hang a mosquito net. I'm used to them from my second trip to China, and as long as there aren't any mosquitos in the net, they function pretty well. First though I would have to find a "cement" nail for the ceiling, and then find someone tall enough to reach my ceiling.

I am trying to adjust to Dominican Spanish and not Spain Spanish. There are a few little phrases that I miss saying in Spain that they don't use here.

I think one of the things I'm going to struggle with is making myself get out and do things around town in the first few weeks. I always feel too tired and too lazy to go out with people I don't know and put in the effort of meeting others, but if I don't it won't really feel like home, so I need to. I just always prefer to sleep.

I'm going to start a list of prayer requests to the right to make it easier to find, since i know some people would like to know specific ways. We had our teachers meeting today to go over life things like rent, electricity, health insurance, bank accounts, etc, so I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment. I have a bank account but no money until September 30th. I think I may have to take some money out of my account because I'm pretty sure my food won't last the whole month.

Hopefully there will be pictures forthcoming SOON!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Natalie!
    it is so nice to hear how you are doing right now and get your updates! I love how you write is very much like how you would say it! I can hear your voice in my head!
    anyways hope you canadjust to the humid heat, i had a hard time with that in honduras so i completely understand- it makes cold showers wonderful!

    ReplyDelete